Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Kelly's desk

Pheeeew, it's been awhile. The holidays are here and it's been busy! And, yes, I've done a few little projects that I totally forgot to take pictures of and just let slide by...oh well.

BUT, this project has probably been my favorite so far. The color probably has something to do with that! My sister, Kelly, acquired this great desk for FREE from her mother-in-law. When I got it, I sanded it down and it looked like this...


Photobucket

It actually was in pretty bad shape. I had to do some repairs to it. It either was really cheaply made or has just been really loved over the years. A good part of the desk is veneer, which half was peeling off. So, I had some glueing to do, among other things.

My sister deliberated long and hard over the color. And she scored big on this one! She chose *cloud burst* by Behr. I absolutely love it! In fact, it's my new favorite paint color for now. I've already been thinking of what I can paint this color to put in my house.

I love the antique hardware that was on the desk. And thankfully, none of it was missing. Originally my sister thought she wanted to paint the hardware black. But I held off to see how it would look once the desk was done. And now I think the antique patina of the hardware is perfect for the desk and it's color. But, Kelly, I'll still paint the hardware for you if you like!

Here's the desk all done and happy in my sister's dining room...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I found some fabric in my stash for the chair that matched perfectly and picked up the other colors in my sister's house.

Photobucket

Although the desk doesn't quite fit as well as Kelly thought in the spot she had picked out, I hope she at least enjoys looking at it and marveling at what a great color she chose. Well done, Kel!

As for how I did the desk, I sanded, primed and painted. Then I lightly sanded the edges, giving a little more attention to the *more used* areas like the back of the chair and front top of the desk. After that I rubbed it all over with antiquing glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment